With so many mattresses now available in the market, it can be quite difficult to choose the right one, isn’t it?
Mattresses aren’t cheap, and hence, you have to be very cautious about the choice you have made. For example, if the mattress has the wrong firmness or the thickness is too less as per your body weight, the product will become useless and might cause more harm to your body than good.
This is why we have compiled a well-explained buying guide that will tell you about several factors you need to consider to get the best mattress from the Indian market.
What Are The Major Types Of Mattresses Available In The Market?
There are several types of mattresses available in the market which you can buy for yourself. These mattresses are mainly classified based on the materials used for manufacturing them. Below we have listed down the major mattress types you will get in the market.
- Foam mattress is most popular mattress type and made from polyurethane material for increasing the softness.
- Memory foam mattresses are usually paired with HR foam, latex, or coir materials to ensure that they can reduce the orthopaedic pain and also release the tensed knots formed in the back muscles.
- Rebonded foam made from hard PU foam with high density for increasing the overall firmness and the ability to support body weight.
- PU foam mattresses are made from a hard support layer at the bottom and the PU foam at the top to increase the plushness. These mattresses are mainly used for getting the maximum level of plushness and softness.
- Spring mattresses are also quite common as they have an innerspring layer as the main core. To prevent sudden impacts on the coils, felt is used to cover the layer, which will absorb the shocks, thereby keeping the coils safe. Spring mattresses are divided into two parts- Bonnell spring mattresses where the coils are interconnected and the pocket springs where the coils are disconnected and wrapped in a cloth sheath individually.
- Innerspring is normal spring coil having interconnection with each other acts as the main layer and guarded by thick felt material.
- Pocket spring mattress: Individual spring coils surrounded by fabric pockets and packed in a single layer for reducing motion transfer and providing point pressure.
- Latex mattresses are also found in the market, which is firm and known for their eco-friendliness, provided the mattress is made from natural latex. Synthetic latex mattresses are also present at a lower price but won’t have the same benefits as natural latex.
- Latex foam: Natural or synthetic latex liquid infused with normal foam to increase its firmness.
- Coir mattress made from the outer husk of the coconut shell, which are processed in the industry and packed in tight shapes.
- Rubberized coir: Normal coir material is packed tightly and mixed with rubber to increase the density and bounce.
- Hybrid mattress, another popular choice of the customers, is a multi-layer mattress that brings together the goodness of latex, memory, and gel mattresses. As a result, the sleepers can experience pressure relief from the back and better sleep quality. Moreover, it even has a 3–4-inch comfort layer for a hugging-like experience.
- Cotton mattress Consists of cotton as the main filling material, with a simple fabric acting as the cover.
- Water Bed: It provides soothing and cooling effect to reduce the boils and sores on the skin
What To Look For In A Mattress At The Time Of Buying It?
- Choose Budget: There is nothing to deny that buying a mattress is expensive, and it is even costlier when looking for a high-quality one. So, rather than making an impulsive decision, plan it through. Look for the different price ranges and decide on how much you want to spend on your mattress. This way, you can prevent yourself from overspending.
- Size and Dimensions: The first thing you need to consider to buy the best mattress suitable for your needs is to check the size and dimensions. This will include the length, breadth, and even the height of the product. To know which mattress size will be ideal for you, take the measurements of the bed of the interior portion and then check whether the manufacturer from whom you want to buy has the dimensions or not.
- Firmness: It is very important to consider the firmness of the mattress you are about to buy. Usually, the firmness level varies from one mattress type to another based on the materials used in its construction. For example, a PU foam mattress will be soft with a firmness value of about 3 to 4, while a hard orthopaedic foam will be firm or extra firm, having a firmness value of more than 6 and lasting up to 9.
- Type: In the above section, we have discussed the several types of mattresses available in the market. It would be best if you chose the specific type based on your needs.
For example, suppose you want to remove soreness from your muscles or maintain your body posture while sleeping. In that case, a memory foam mattress will be the ideal choice. However, if you want to get a higher bounce level mattress, a spring or HR foam mattress will be the best choice.
- Material: While choosing the mattress, you need to check the materials with which the mattress is made. Each material has different benefits and disadvantages that you need to consider so that you won’t end up having a product made from poor quality materials or the wrong ones that wouldn’t match your requirements. Starting from high-density hard foam to innerspring, various materials are used to form layers of the mattresses- top cover, comfort layer, support layer, and the base.
- Warranty: Before you buy a mattress, you should check the warranty limit and the policies set by the particular brand. For example, buy a mattress having a warranty period of 7 to 10 years. The company will provide coverages for manufacturer defects, depression in the materials to a certain level, torn mattress cover after taking it out of the box.
- Durability: It would help if you bought a highly durable mattress and could withstand the compressive forces from the above. However, suppose you are choosing a less durable material. In that case, it will be quite difficult for you to maintain its thickness, so durability is one of the main factors you have to worry about.
- Noise and odour: It would be best to look for the next factor: whether the mattress is making any squeaking noise while twisting and turning over the mattress. In earlier days, the spring mattresses used to make a lot of noise.
But now, in modern mattresses, the spring layers are covered with shock-absorbing felt material, which reduces the sounds and provides a peaceful slumber. In addition, you need to check whether the mattress is producing any odour or not based on the type of material used in manufacturing the product.
For example, if the mattress has a gel-based memory foam layer, you will get the smell of freshness, while a normal PU foam mattress might give off chemical odours.
- Motion transfer: Another feature of the mattresses is motion transfer which is defined as the flow of the compressive forces in a radial direction from the position where it will apply the pressure from the above. It’s better to get a mattress where you will get No Partner Disturbance which will prevent the motion transfer to help you sleep comfortably.
- Temperature regulation: Since you cannot sleep on a hot mattress surface, you need to look for products with a high ventilation rate. First of all, the top cover should be breathable, and it should allow proper air circulation for distributing your body heat.
Furthermore, in some products, the edges are made from 3D mesh fabric, which allows air circulation between the mattress layers to prevent excessive heat accumulation and the growth of moulds and mildew.
- Hypoallergenic: While buying the mattress, you need to check whether the top cover is hypoallergenic is not. Moreover, people having sensitive skin need to sleep on a mattress where the top cover is integrated with aloe vera or any other type of technology that will keep your skin safe from allergies and other types of skin issues.
Also Read: Tips To Buying Mattress Online
What Are The Mattress Features To Look
- Air vent: Special air vents are added to the mattress to maintain air circulation and reduce the temperature.
- Firm: Determines how hard or soft a mattress is and is usually rated from 3 to 9; 3 means the softest mattress, and 9 means the firmest one.
- Foam top: Additional top cover, made from foam material to reduce sagging.
- Hypoallergenic: Prevents allergies and skin rashes for better and comforting sleep.
- Inflatable: It can be inflated by pumping water or air inside and transported from one place to another.
- Memory foam top: Specialized foam top having high conformity and can support body weight by changing its shape.
- Natural filling: Natural elements like aloe vera, latex, and others being included inside the mattress.
- Orthopaedic: This kind of mattress able to support the body weight, reduce pain in the backbone, and apply the right amount of pressure on the trigger points in the back muscles.
- Pillow-top: Has a slightly higher bulge near one end which acts as a pillow.
- Plush: Soft and luxury feeling due to reduced firmness of the mattress in overall.
- Rollable: Defines whether it can roll the mattress for transporting or storing when not in need
What Are The Mistakes To Avoid While Choosing A Mattress?
Often people decide to choose the mattress randomly, which is why they make these common mistakes. Even though, sometimes, the mistakes can be mild, which won’t put you in jeopardy. However, the following mistakes can prove detrimental to your health and the durability and longevity of the mattress.
- Choose the wrong mattress size & dimensions
One of the common mistakes made by people is choosing the wrong mattress size and dimension. As a result, it not only affects your sleeping quality but it compromises your room décor, damages the bed frame, and even induces sleeping disorders. So, it is paramount you learn about the bed size and dimension from the manufacturer’s chart and choose the right mattress for yourself.
- Not knowing about the firmness
First of all, people make mistakes in deciding the firmness of the mattress. Firmness is the measure of the hardness or softness of the mattress. Hence, if you choose the wrong firmness, your health will be compromised. For example, if the orthopaedic patients sleep on a softer mattress, they will suffer more backaches. Similarly, if you want to snuggle on the bed, choosing a firm or extra firm product will be a bad idea.
- Choosing a wrong thickness
Another most common mistake that people make while choosing the mattress is getting the wrong thickness. A mattress thickness is very important to consider since it is directly proportional to firmness. The higher the thickness, more is the more firmness of the mattress. Hence, if you are not getting the right height, you will face many problems, both in terms of health and the mattress’s durability.
- Not caring about ventilation/breathability
It is essential to choose a mattress that has a high breathability rate. If the top fabric is not breathable and doesn’t have many open pores, the ventilation system will be compromised. As a result, the top surface will remain hot, which will further cause discomfort during sleep. In addition, without a proper ventilation system through the mattress, there will be high chances of fungal growth, including moulds and mildew.
- Choosing a wrong mattress type
At the starting only we have discussed the major types of mattresses that are available in the market. Hence, you need to ensure that you are choosing the right type that will be beneficial for your health and won’t put a dent in your pocket. On the other hand, choosing the wrong product will put your health at risk, so do not decide the mattress type hastily.
When you have so many options in hand, choosing the right mattress is cumbersome and daunting. However, here we have discussed several factors which will help you to pick the best product that will meet all your requirements at once.
All you need to do is understand your body and the purpose of a mattress and then follow our guide to choosing the best product from the market. Please do not make the mistakes we have discussed here; since then, you might land up with the wrong product and jeopardise your health.