Do you know what mattress firmness is?
Have you any idea about which mattress material is soft and which one is hard?
If not, you have landed at the perfect place because here, we have presented a complete mattress firmness guide that will help you decide whether you want to have a softer mattress or an extra firm bedding.
Firmness is the measure of how hard or soft the mattress is. Usually, while buying a mattress, you need to consider the firmness of every individual layer and that of the entire product. However, as it can be quite hard to decide the right level of firmness without making any mistake, we have discussed here some of the major information pieces you need to know.
So, what are we waiting for?
Let’s start the discussion because if you learn everything about mattress firmness, you will get the perfect mattress.
- Why is it important to consider firmness while buying a mattress?
- Do the firmness values depend on the material used in the mattress?
- Who should choose a soft mattress?
- Who should choose a medium-firm mattress?
- For whom is a firm or extra firm mattress ideal?
- How to alter the firmness of a mattress?
Why is it important to consider firmness while buying a mattress?
- Based on the firmness, you will be able to reduce pain and soreness from the body.
- For sleeping on a plush and soft mattress, you will have to search for products having an overall firmness less than 5.5.
- If you fail to consider the firmness, you won’t have a mattress that can last long without suffering much damage.
Do the firmness values depend on the material used in the mattress?
Yes, the firmness level varies with the materials being used in the construction of the mattress. Usually, the firmness is directly proportional to the density of the material. Hence, a lighter mattress material will be softer in comparison with a high-density material. Below we have listed the approximate firmness range for different materials you can find in the mattresses.
- PU foam is the softest, with a firmness level ranging between 3 and 4.
- Memory foam can be medium-firm or firm based on the density of the material. That’s why its firmness ranges between 5 and 7.5.
- High resilience foam might have a higher bounce, but it is firmer than the above two foam types.
- Rebonded and high-density(HD) foam materials have the highest firmness level, varying within a range of 6 to 9.
- Bonnell springs have a medium firmness range with an approximate value of 6 or 6.5.
- The pocket spring layers have a wide range of firmness from 5 to 7.5 based on the number of coils used to construct the layer and the elasticity of the coils.
- Latex is either medium-firm or firm, having a firmness range of 6 to 7 depending on the density and the type of latex being considered.
Who should choose a soft mattress?
The soft mattresses will be ideal for sleepers who want to sleep without any disturbance and cuddle on the bed. These mattresses are made from soft materials like PU foam, whose firmness level ranges between 3 to 4, and hence, it will allow you to have a cosy feel once your body hits the bed.
Who should choose a medium-firm mattress?
If you want to reduce the pain from your back and soreness from the muscles, you need to have a firmer surface. However, suppose you also want to enjoy a little bit of softness in the mattress. In that case, you need to look for products having a medium firmness level. This will help you to sleep comfortably while snuggling on the bed and allowing your body to relax and rejuvenate itself so that you can become quite energetic the next morning.
For whom is a firm or extra firm mattress ideal?
For people suffering from extreme back pain or soreness in the muscles, a firm or extra firm mattress will be the best choice. These products are made with materials that are quite hard and can support the body weight in the best way. They help reduce the pain and soreness, but they will also maintain your body’s posture while you are sleeping regardless of the position.
How to alter the firmness of a mattress?
If you want to alter the firmness of the mattress, you need to use an additional bedding product based on what firmness level you would like to have.
- If you want to sleep on a softer mattress, you can use a mattress pad since they are quite soft and will help you snuggle on the bed.
- However, suppose you want to increase the firmness of the mattress. In that case, a mattress topper will be an ideal solution as they are firmer than the mattress pads.
While buying a mattress, firmness is one of the main things that everyone needs to consider, irrespective of how popular mattress brand is or which technologies are used in manufacturing the mattress. That’s why we have presented the fundamental knowledge about mattress firmness, what it is, and several other such details in brief. We now hope that you will choose a mattress having the right amount of firmness needed for having a peaceful sleep without any discomfort.