Are you confused about whether or not to get the coir mattress?
Don’t you have enough idea about the coir material and its features?
If yes, then you are at the right place! In this article, we have discussed everything related to this natural and organic material. With our well-explained coir mattress guide, you will get all the clarifications you need to decide whether a coir mattress is suitable for you or not.
So, what are we waiting for? Let’s get started with discussing what a coir mattress is at first, and then gradually, we will move to the benefits, lifetime, and other such relevant facts.
1. What Is A Coir Mattress?
A coir mattress is made from a core layer that has curled coir fibres. These fibres are obtained from the coconut husk- one of the most abundant natural materials you can find anywhere in the world, especially in the coastal regions. The fibres are curled first to give the desired shape and then used as an intermediate or upper layer in the mattress.
1.1 Types Of Coir Mattress
There are two different coir mattress types:
- Simple coir mattress where the material has standard density and is made from thin, loosely curled fibres.
- Rubberized coir mattresses are the ones where the material is made from highly curled fibres with almost no air pockets in between the curled husk fibres.
2. Benefits Of Coir Mattress
- Organic and eco-friendly: The first benefit of the coir mattresses is that these products are made from organic and eco-friendly material. Hence, you won’t have to worry about any bad odour coming out of the mattress. Most coir mattresses give out a musky scent that resembles forest and nature.
- Hypoallergenic: Since coir is obtained from the coconut husk, the material has hypoallergenic properties. This means that sleeping on the mattress won’t cause any allergies or adverse reactions to your skin.
- Can alleviate back pain: Due to the high firmness level, the coir mattresses can be considered ortho bedding products. The material supports the body weight and helps in maintaining the spine’s shape.
- Releases pressure from trigger points: Coir is extremely beneficial in releasing the pressure developed in the trigger points present in your body. Hence, you will feel relaxed without experiencing soreness or stiffness the next day.
- Cheap: As coir is obtained from nature and the coconut husk, the material is cheap. That’s why the coir mattresses are considered the most inexpensive amongst all other mattress types.
3. The Average Lifespan Of A Coir Mattress
Coir is obtained from the husk of a coconut, and hence, it is completely organic. Suppose the mattress is taken care of properly without any intentional damage. In that case, the product will last for five years at the least if the product only has the coir material. But if the mattress product has a coir layer and an upper comfort layer made from PU foam or memory foam, the product can last for more than 7 to 9 years.
4. What Do You Need To Know About Sleeping On A Coir Mattress?
Sleeping on a coir mattress will help you alleviate chronic back pain, which might be due to bone problems or any other neurological issue. Also, when you are sleeping on a coir mattress, remember that sometimes, you might wake up at night due to excess sweating. That’s why it’s better to buy a coir mattress that comes with a gel-infused memory foam layer.
5. When To Choose A Coir Mattress?
If you are not sure whether or not you need a coir mattress, do not worry any further. In this particular section, we have described the situations when a coir mattress will be an ideal choice for you or any other sleeper.
- Suppose you are suffering from back pain or any neurological aches. In that case, the coir will help alleviate the health issue, thanks to the high firmness range of the material.
- For sleepers who want to sleep on a mattress with organic material, coir is the best option because latex is chemically treated in factories.
- Suppose you are on a budget and do not want to spend too much money on the mattress. In that case, the coir material will be the ideal option since it is the cheapest mattress construction material.
6. Why Choose A Coir Mattress?
- Hypoallergenic in nature
- Eco-friendly material
- Inexpensive and cheap
- It can be coupled with foam or latex
- Has higher density for supporting the mattress
- No growth of bacteria or mould
- Not suitable for sensitive skin
- Can make noise while turning or twisting around
7. When Not, Choose A Coir Mattress?
There are certain conditions when you don’t have to buy the coir mattress, or the material wouldn’t suit you. Such conditions are:
- If you want to sleep on a plush and cosy bed, a coir mattress wouldn’t be the ideal choice because its firmness range starts from 5.5 approximately.
- Coir material is not ideal for baby mattresses because the fibres can cause allergies and rashes in their delicate skin.
- If you want a spring mattress, do not choose a product where coir layers guard the springs on either side. This is because coir wouldn’t be able to prevent the springs from hurting your body parts.
- If you move around many sleep in different positions, the coir mattress is not made for you.
How long does a coir mattress last?
The coir mattress doesn’t sag easily, and there won’t be any growth of mould or bacteria as it’s a natural and eco-friendly material. So, yes, the coir material can last for more than five years provided you are handling the product carefully. However, if one fibre strand unwinds itself from the packaged structure, soon you will feel something poking against your skin. This is when the mattress will start to degrade in quality as well as functionality.
Is a coir mattress good for back pain?
The natural coir fibres are coiled around each other tightly to form a compact structure. Due to coiling, the material becomes denser and thus harder. Due to this, coir has a higher level of firmness, varying approximately between 5.5 to 8 depending on the other firmer layers present in the mattress. Due to the high firmness, coir is good for back pain as it can easily support your body posture, especially the shape of your spine.
Is a coir mattress good for summer?
Coir has several air pockets in between the fibres, coiled around each other to form a compact structure. Due to air pockets, the ventilation is maintained properly, thereby helping keep the surface cool. So, yes, to a great extent, coir is good for summer. And if you have to overlay gel-infused memory foam, you won’t have to worry about sweating in sleep ever.
Is a coir mattress better than foam?
Coir is a natural product that is obtained from the husk of the coconut tree. However, foam is synthetically prepared from polyurethane which is an artificial polymer. So, if we judge both these elements based on their origin, the coir will be a better option than foam. However, if we consider other features like firmness, coir has limited range while foam can be soft and firm. Similarly, foam can be infused with cooling gel technology which is not possible with the coir material.