Have you recently bought a latex mattress but are scared to sleep on it?
Are you worried about suffering from allergies due to the use of latex?
If yes, then you are at the right place because, in this article, we will introduce you to latex mattresses and shed light on the skin problems that might arise due to the material. Latex mattresses are quite popular as they are made from natural substances. Moreover, latex is quite firm compared to other materials, which is why most orthopaedic mattresses have latex as their core material.
However, the material can prove to be detrimental for some people, especially if the sleeper has sensitive skin and is allergic to latex. But as you already have the mattress, you need to find ways to sleep on the product without having to worry about developing skin allergies, rashes, and even itching.
What is a latex mattress, and what is it made from?
A latex mattress is mainly made from a latex infused foam layer in combination with another responsive foam or spring layer to increase the resilience and durability of the product. You have probably heard the term “latex rubber” many times in association with other products.
So what exactly is this ingredient?
Latex is a thick, white-coloured liquid that is collected from underneath the bark of the rubber trees. In India, small cuts are made on the bark of the trees with a depth that reaches the interior portion where the liquid is present. Then, a small bowl is tied right below the cut to collect the latex liquid over time.
Once enough liquid is collected, it is sent to the factories, where the liquid is processed and then infused with the PU foam layer to manufacture latex foam.
What are the benefits of using a latex mattress?
Latex mattresses are quite beneficial for sleepers, so they are becoming popular in the Indian market. In this section, we would like to introduce you to the uses of this mattress type before discussing whether it is harmful to people suffering from skin allergies or not.
- The latex foams are usually quite firm, having a firmness level varying between 5 to 7. That’s why after sleeping on the mattress, soreness and pain will simply fly out of the window so that you can have a peaceful sleep.
- Latex mattresses combined with pocket springs or memory foam can apply the right amount of pressure on your backbone and the muscles, thereby relieving the knots from the trigger points.
- Natural latex is eco-friendly and has proven to be soothing for the skin. There are hardly any complaints about sleepers suffering from skin allergies due to natural latex.
- Unlike the foam and spring materials, latex has less sagging rate. Hence, you won’t have to worry much about the maintenance of the mattresses or the early depression of the core layer.
- As latex foam has a higher density than other materials, it is quite durable and will last for a long time. That’s why this particular mattress type is so popular in the Indian market.
Can a latex mattress cause allergies and skin problems?
Even though most mattresses are made from natural latex material, there are products where synthetic or latex blend material is used. As the natural latex is obtained from rubber trees, developing allergies due to it is quite low.
However, the same can’t be said about synthetic or blended latex materials. These are formed from synthetically manufactured rubber which is processed in the industries. Here, crude oil and other chemicals act as raw materials. This is why you can suffer from allergies if you have bought a synthetic or blended latex mattress. Moreover, it is a natural latex material that has hypoallergenic properties and not synthetic ones.
What to do if you are allergic to latex mattresses?
Suppose you have a latex mattress and are suffering from latex allergies. In that case, you can consider the following steps to ensure that you won’t have to suffer from discomfort further.
- You can use a mattress protector or a pad made from cotton or wool and can be used to cover the top surface. Hence, your skin won’t be in direct contact with the latex layer, which will help in keeping your skin safe from allergies, rashes, and itching.
- It will be better to choose a mattress that is made from natural latex foam. Since this latex type is treated in several processes, the proteins responsible for causing allergies are removed. As a result, you don’t have to worry about skin allergies.
- You can even use a zippered outer cover to wrap around the mattress completely. Hence, you will be able to keep your skin safe from different types of dermal problems.
In the above article, we have discussed what a latex mattress is, its benefits, and whether or not such a mattress is safe for you if you have latex allergies. Since now everything is clear, you can decide whether you want to have a mattress made from latex or not.