Out of all the mattress types, it is the memory foam mattresses that are most sought-after. However, recently, memory foams have been updated for providing a higher level of comfort by infusing micro cooling gels. These modified forms are termed gel-based memory foams.
Since you will have two options in terms of memory foam, it can be quite difficult for you to choose the best one. That’s why we are here to introduce the fundamentals of both the materials, how they work, and other such facts.
- What is memory foam and gel-based memory foam?
- What are the benefits of memory foam?
- What are the advantages of gel-based memory foam?
- Memory Foam VS Gel-based Memory Foam: Table of Comparison
- Under what conditions shouldn’t use memory foam?
- When can you not choose the gel-based memory foam?
What is memory foam and gel-based memory foam?
Memory foam definition
Memory foams are manufactured from raw polyurethane material. They are treated with some chemicals to alter the density and viscosity. That’s why the foam can easily conform to your body shape according to the amount of pressure and heat applied at the surface. Furthermore, this particular foam is manufactured following the open-cell structure to improve air circulation.
Gel-based memory foam definition
The gel-based memory foam is mainly manufactured to provide comfort against heat, thereby offering the ultimate temperature regulatory ability to the mattress. Here, a cooling gel chemical is added to the memory foam layer, which cools down the surface by absorbing atmospheric and body heat.
Check Out: Best Cooling Mattress In India 2021
For infusing the gel-like material into the memory foam, three main procedures are followed:
- Filling the open cell memory foams with small beads of gels
- Adding the gel into the memory foam in the liquid state
- Incorporating a gel layer at the top of the memory foam
What are the benefits of memory foam?
Memory foam mattresses are pretty much beneficial, be it for inducing a proper sleep or offering pain relief. To make you more familiar, we have mentioned some of the major ways the memory foam will help you.
- Memory foams can conform to your body shape, thereby proving the ultimate form of comfort to all sleepers.
- These foams have a higher density, so they can prevent the transfer of motion from one point to another, thereby helping you have an undisturbed sleep.
- The memory foam will also help in reducing pressure from the trigger points.
- Dense memory foam will be able to support your body weight.
- With an open-cell structure, the memory foam can work wonders by improving ventilation.
What are the advantages of gel-based memory foam?
Even though the gel-based memory foams are not much different from the regular ones, you should be aware of some special benefits of the former material.
- First of all, with the gel incorporated into the memory foam, you won’t have to worry about sleeping on a hot bed surface.
- The gels work wonders by absorbing your body heat and preventing you from waking up in the middle of the night due to excessive sweating.
- Also, you will be able to get relief from allergies, and skin redness due to the gel-based memory foam as the chemical will absorb the heat.
- Like regular memory foams, the gem-based foams will also prevent motion transfer and offer a peaceful sleep.
Memory Foam VS Gel-based Memory Foam: Table of Comparison
|Attributes/Features||Gel-based memory foam||Regular memory foam|
|Temperature regulation||These memory foams have gel molecules that can absorb the surface heat and keep the bed cool.||Since no special technology regulates the temperature, you have to rely on the open cell structure.|
|Durability||As the gel beads or the top layer can wear off easily after a couple of years, the durability is medium.||Regular memory foams are highly durable and can last for several years with no depression.|
|Motion transfer||Like regular memory foams, the gel-based foams will also prevent the flow of motion and allow you to sleep peacefully.||Yes, the memory foams can prevent motion transfer, thanks to the high density and increased viscosity.|
|Noise||Even though gel beads are integrated into the foam, they will make no noise while twisting and turning around.||As no spring is usually added to the memory foam mattresses, you won’t suffer from noises.|
|Odour||Due to incorporating the gel-like material, you won’t be able to smell anything other than freshness.||A subtle smell of polyurethane is present for the first few months, which will wear off over time.|
|Sagging rate||These gel molecules or the gel layer have a low lifetime to sag a little faster than the regular memory foam layers.||The regular memory foams can easily counteract the sagging forces with an open-cell structure and high fibre density.|
Under what conditions shouldn’t use memory foam?
- Memory foams have high density, and due to the blocked air channels, they can’t maintain ventilation properly. That’s why they can cause excess sweating or prevent you from sleeping peacefully due to overheating.
- These foam materials are heavy, which is why manoeuvring them properly is very difficult.
When can you not choose the gel-based memory foam?
- Gel-based memory foams are expensive. Hence, if you are on a budget, you should go with these mattresses.
- They have a huge weight, even more than the regular foams, so moving them from one place to another is cumbersome.
The above article explains the fundamentals or basics that you should know to make the best choice. However, before you pick out the product, you should weigh the options and ensure that the chosen mattress has features that can fulfil your requirements.