Are you tired of having sleepless nights due to bed bugs?
If yes, you need to act immediately so that you can remove the bed bugs with ease. However, to remove the bugs efficiently, you need first to understand their risks to analyse the importance of removing them from your bed.
In the following article, we have first introduced some of the major risks of having bed bugs in your mattress briefly.
As you get the hang of it, understanding how to remove the bed bugs will become clear to you. Hence, you won’t make any mistakes while implementing any ways to remove the bugs from the bed and the mattress.
- What damages can a bed bug cause to the mattress and your health?
- How to get rid of bed bugs from the mattress?
- 1. Vacuuming the bed and the mattress every alternative day for a week
- 2. Placing natural bug repellent items close to the mattress or under it
- 3. Using chemical bug-killing pesticide solutions
- 4. Cleaning everything present on the bed every day with proper detergent
- 5. Using a hard brush to scrub the mattress edges and the furniture gaps to remove the eggs
- 6. Use a tightly woven quilted fabric with a zipper to cover the mattress.
- 7. Seal off the hiding places of the bed bugs present in the furniture as well as the room
- 8. Use heat to kill the bed bugs permanently along with the eggs
- 9. Decluttering the bed and the mattress to ensure that bed bugs and eggs get removed properly
What damages can a bed bug cause to the mattress and your health?
Bed bugs are one of the most tedious house pests that usually thrive between the mattress folds, between the joints in the bed, and other places where humidity and heat are more, but the light is almost nil. They only come out from their hiding places once in a while or when you are sleeping, and the lights are off. Most people consider them to be a nuisance and nothing more, so they ignore the first few sightings of the bugs. Then, they only take action when the population of the insect grows beyond control.
However, such delays can cause a lot of problems, both for your bed and your health. In the below section, we will talk about the dangers of having bed bugs.
- Firstly, these bugs bite, and hence, you can see red marks on your skin after waking up on most mornings.
- Secondly, the bugs can penetrate deeper into the mattress if a small crack or hole in the top later.
- Thirdly, the space in between the mattress layers serves as the best place for their breeding grounds.
- Bed bugs can multiply quickly, and hence, controlling their population is quite difficult.
- Lastly, having bed bugs make the entire ambience unhealthy and unhygienic for you and other sleepers.
How to get rid of bed bugs from the mattress?
Since now we have discussed the risks of having bed bugs in your mattress and bed furniture, it’s time to learn about removing them for good. This section will talk about how you can easily remove bed bugs so that not even a single organism is present.
1. Vacuuming the bed and the mattress every alternative day for a week
If you see the bugs out in the open, the best way to remove them will be vacuuming. Using a small vacuum cleaner will help you remove the insects with ease without any chemicals. However, this method is only suitable for larger areas like the mattress surface, furniture folds, etc.
2. Placing natural bug repellent items close to the mattress or under it
Citronella, lavender, peppermint, and other natural herbs and plants release chemical ions in the air, repelling the bed bugs and reducing their population. Even though it’s quite effective in eliminating the bugs, using the natural substances will take a long time and is effective only during the initial stages of bed bug infestation.
3. Using chemical bug-killing pesticide solutions
There are several ready-made bug-killing chemicals that you can use the bed bugs with ease. Usually, you will have a spray or pipe nozzle to apply the solution over the areas being affected by the bed bugs. However, suppose the ready-made products aren’t improving the conditions. In that case, you can try out raw pesticides like DDT solution, Gamaxine, and so on.
4. Cleaning everything present on the bed every day with proper detergent
If you are using a top bed cover, do change and clean it regularly to ensure that the eggs of the bed bugs are removed properly. In addition, cleaning the covers, pillow covers, and other things on the bed will help keep your bed and mattress more hygienic and safe for your skin.
5. Using a hard brush to scrub the mattress edges and the furniture gaps to remove the eggs
To remove the younger bed bugs and the eggs, you can use a hard brush and scrub the surfaces where they usually stay hidden. For example, these pests usually lay eggs in between the joints of the bed and the edges of the mattress, where it’s hard to find them. That’s why scrubbing these areas with a hard brush will help you to remove them with ease.
6. Use a tightly woven quilted fabric with a zipper to cover the mattress.
Suppose your mattress doesn’t have an outer cover. In that case, it will become easier for the bugs to penetrate the mattress and breed in between the layers. This will not only cause damage to the product but also make it almost impossible for you to remove them. Hence, you can use a thick and quilted fabric cover to wrap the mattress completely without leaving any space. It will prevent the bugs from entering the mattress.
7. Seal off the hiding places of the bed bugs present in the furniture as well as the room
Besides the bed and the mattress, the bed bugs also live in the walls and other places which do not receive light and heat properly. Therefore, to prevent further pest population explosion, you need to seal off these holes so that the eggs and hidden bugs cannot come outside.
8. Use heat to kill the bed bugs permanently along with the eggs
Heat is one of the best killing weapons with which you can remove the bugs permanently. Use a blow dryer to provide heat to the mattress covers and the bed furniture. The heated air will kill the pests almost instantly, which will help you to get rid of them permanently.
9. Decluttering the bed and the mattress to ensure that bed bugs and eggs get removed properly
Objects like soft toys, pillows, cushions, and other objects are also a wonderful breeding ground for bed bugs. So, to exterminate the pest, you need to remove these clutters immediately and spray chemical solutions on them. It will help in removing all the eggs and adult bed bugs present in these objects.
In the above article, we have discussed the best ways to remove the bed bugs from your mattress and bed. Just make sure to try out the best method which will help in exterminating the organism completely and make the bed and mattress safe from further damage.