1. What is Air Mattress
One’s quality of sleep depends largely on their sleep environment. A major element of one’s sleep environment is their mattress. So, if one’s mattress is not comfortable, then there are chances of sleep getting disturbed. Maybe you have tried all other kinds of mattresses, and there seems to be little improvement to your sleep quality. But have you tried the air mattress? The air mattress is inflatable and portable. It is also commonly known as the ‘air bed’ or ‘blow up bed.’ It is ideal for camping, guest use, or full-time use.
2. Types of Air Beds
Before we look at air mattresses features, let us try to understand the various types of air mattresses and their purposes. Three major types of air mattresses are commonly available:
- Camping type air bed: The camping type air bed is your best choice for a portable and outdoors-use mattress. It is ideal for taking for camping or picnicking or even to the beach. Camping type air beds are generally made of vinyl.
They are puncture-proof (so you don’t have to worry about thorns deflating this air bed) and waterproof as well. Some of these mattresses come with a manual pump, while some of them have a battery in them to pump air in. These mattresses typically don’t require any external power sources to inflate.
- Standard air bed: The standard air bed is your regular inflatable air bed that is especially useful when you have guests or need an extra mattress. Generally, they come with an in-built pump or may need to be inflated using an external manual or electric pump. But these air beds are not suitable for long use. They are best suited for occasional use.
- Double-high type air bed: Are you looking for a comfortable, long use air bed? Then the air bed that you are looking for is the double-high type air bed. Unlike the standard air bed, the double high air bed is much taller, making it easy to get on and off the bed. What’s more? It is comfortable and helps regulate blood flow and pressure.
3. Features of the Best Air Mattresses
Now, we have clarity about various types of air mattresses, let us take a look at the features of air mattresses:
4. What to Know Before Buying an Air Mattress – Quick Tips
Before you purchase an air mattress, here are some important points to keep in mind:
- Safety – off-gassing and fumes: During deflation, air mattresses may release some gaseous chemicals that may be irritable or affect the breathing of many. So go for quality air mattresses rather than one’s that use cheap raw materials.
- Value for money: There is a wide range of quality and budget-friendly air mattresses.
- The height of the mattress: Double-high type air beds are taller than standard air beds.
- The size of the air bed: Air beds come in a wide array of sizes; it starts from single to queen-sized to king-sized.
- Check for the features that interest you: Make your purchase only after carefully analyzing features like mattress technology used, back support, comfort, and air pump type.
- The purpose of usage: Different types of air mattresses serve different purposes. For outdoor use, choose a camping type air bed. Standard air beds are suited for occasional or guest use. For more long term use, go for double high air mattresses.
5. What is the Lifespan of an Air Mattress?
A quality air mattress can last for 8 to 10 years if one uses it for long term purposes. Otherwise, for occasional use, it lasts between 10 to 15 years.
Pros and Cons
The search for an all-purpose mattress ends here; go for the air mattress. It is durable, budget-friendly, and very easy to transport. Be it for outdoor use or guest use, or long-term use, the air mattress is the king of all mattresses.
1. How does an air mattress work?
Using an air mattress is very simple. All that one has to do is lay the mattress flat and then fill it up with air using a pump. Voila! Your air bed is ready.
2. How do you keep an air mattress from deflating at night?
The ideal practice to keep your air mattress from deflating at night is by lying flat and equally displacing the pressure exerted by your body. This way, air leaks can be reduced.
3. Is it bad to leave an air mattress inflated?
It is bad to leave an air mattress inflated if you have small kids or pets at your home.
4. How long should an air mattress stay inflated?
An air mattress can be kept inflated as long as it is being used.
5. Can an air mattress explode?
Yes, if you over-inflate it or leave near a window on a sunny day. One should also try to avoid standing and walking over air mattresses.